Internationally Educated

Refer to Flow Chart and Internationally Educated Checklist first, then when ready to apply,  Registration Checklist and Registration Guide then use the Cost Estimator Tool 

I am a non-Canadian trained Physiotherapist wanting to move to Canada for licensure and employment as a physiotherapist.

We suggest that you first go to the Canadian Information for International credentials. These tools will help you identify gaps in your knowledge or skills required for licensure as a Canadian Physiotherapist. These tools can be accessed prior to moving to Canada

These tools are for information only and if you have decided to move to Canada and continue on the path of licensure as a physiotherapist, then see below, as well as our Entry to Practice flow Chart.

In order for you to obtain a license to practice physiotherapy in Nova Scotia you must begin with the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators

Your first step is credentialing, in which the Alliance satisfies the physiotherapy regulators that your academic training is not substantially different from that of Canadian educated students.

Once Credentialing is completed

You must register with the Alliance for the national written exam process. The Alliance administers the national Physiotherapy Written / Qualifying (QE) Exam for both Canadian and internationally educated physiotherapists, to determine a candidate's readiness for safe, effective, and independent physiotherapy practice.

Like a Canadian Recent Graduate you must complete the national written Qualifying exam (QE) prior to be eligible to apply for licensure. There are two components to competency evaluation - a multiple choice written exam (referred to as the qualifying exam or QE) and a practical competency evaluation process.

Once you have successfully completed the Written part (QE) of the national exam you are eligible to apply for licensure in Nova Scotia.